The health care law – otherwise known as the Affordable Care Act (ACA) or Obamacare – makes health coverage more affordable and easier to obtain for millions of American women. If you do not already have health insurance coverage, now is the time to enroll. It is also the time to renew your current coverage.
Beginning November 1, you will be able to renew or enroll in health insurance for 2018 through the Health Insurance Marketplace. Through the Marketplace (healthcare.gov), you can comparison shop to find the insurance plan that best meets your needs and budget. Open enrollment ends December 15, 2017, although some states allow more time to enroll in Marketplace coverage. Coverage will be effective as early as January 1, 2018.
This guide to open enrollment includes:
- A checklist of things to consider as you decide whether to renew your plan or enroll in a new plan;
- A background on insurance, including answers to common questions and explanations of key terms;
- An explanation of how to get coverage through the Marketplace and which services your plan will cover;
- Information about paying for insurance, including financial assistance
- An explanation of Medicaid coverage;
- A section that explains some changes to the law made by the Trump Administration and how they affect you.