Whether we’re authoring critical legislation on equal pay and workplace protections, fighting for abortion rights, or pushing for critical stimulus interventions during a historic, devastating pandemic, our federal advocacy and regulatory efforts are core to the National Women’s Law Center’s work. For almost 50 years, NWLC has been at the forefront of almost every legislative victory for women and girls, and we will continue to hold our elected officials accountable while pushing presidents and their administrations to ensure our government is removing barriers to equality.
The National Women’s Law Center’s groundbreaking research helps tell the story of women’s lived experiences. Our data and research are regularly cited by media and legislators and have directly led to a host of policy changes and new laws. Through meticulous research, we can back up and lift up the true stories of Black women, Latinas, and Native women—and help the media, legislators, and advocates change the story, change laws, and change our understanding of how discrimination works.
- State by State
- New Data Estimate Nearly 61.4 Million Women Have Coverage of Birth Control without Out-of-Pocket Costs
- Black Women’s Unemployment Falls Sharply to 5% in November
- NWLC Analysis of U.S. Census Bureau COVID-19 Household Pulse Surveys
- The Pandemic Widens the Retirement Gender Gap
IN THE COURTS
NWLC works inside the courtroom to advance gender justice in our society, from litigating our own cases that take on sex discrimination to filing amicus briefs in others’ cases to protect and expand our rights, and to expand greater awareness of our legal protections that are on the line.
- NWLC Files Amicus Brief in Seventh Circuit Supporting Abortion Providers’ Challenge to Indiana Abortion Restrictions
- NWLC Lawsuit: Planned Parenthood v. Azar
- NWLC Joins California Amicus Brief Opposing Two-Track System of Requiring Cross-Examination only in School Investigations of Gender-Based Violence
- NWLC Leads Second Circuit Amicus Brief in Support of Trans-Inclusive Athletic Policies
IN THE STATES
State legislators can and must urgently take action to advance broad-based agendas that would remedy discrimination, ensure accountability, and provide key supports for women and girls. NWLC provides resources, state data, and other expertise to ensure we’re advancing gender justice throughout the country.
- State by State
- Rebuilding Stronger: State Playbook for Gender Justice
- Pathway to Gender Justice
- Access to Birth Control without Out-of-Pocket Costs: Improving and Expanding the Affordable Care Act’s Contraceptive Coverage Requirement
- 2021 Progress Update: #MeToo Workplace Reforms in the States
At the National Women’s Law Center, we believe that the barriers to achieving gender justice exist not only in our laws and policies, but in our culture. We work with influencers, cultural leaders, the entertainment industry, and across media and movements to ensure we meet and educate the public in their homes and their communities.
- Euphoria Season 2, Episode 1 Recap: Hitting Where It Hurts
- So… we need to talk about The Bachelorette.
- Taxing the Billionaire Roys of Succession
- Searching for the Right Label(s) To Be Latina Enough
- Stop Telling Women What To Wear