LEGAL NETWORK FOR GENDER EQUITY
The attacks on basic civil rights, the reduction of federal civil rights enforcement, the surge of gender-based hostility and harassment in schools and workplaces, and the increased number of individuals coming forward to report sexual harassment and assault has created an unprecedented need for legal assistance for individuals facing sex harassment and discrimination.
In response, the National Women’s Law Center Fund LLC launched the Legal Network for Gender Equity – a nationwide network of attorneys willing to step up and undertake legal representation of individuals experiencing harassment or other forms of sex discrimination at school, at work, or in health insurance or health care settings. Please help meet that challenge by joining the Legal Network for Gender Equity and committing to help people fight for their rights to be free from sexual harassment, sex discrimination, and retaliation in the workplace, at school, or in health care.
How it works:
- Attorneys join our Legal Network for Gender Equity by completing an online form. Joining is free. The attorneys indicate in which areas they work (workplace, education, and/or health care) and the states in which they practice.
- Attorneys agree to provide people coming through our Legal Network the first consultation for free.
- People facing sexual harassment and discrimination in the workplace, at school, or in health care fill in our online form describing what happened to them and requesting the names of attorneys.
- We send them the names of three attorneys in the Legal Network for Gender Equity who practice in their state.
- The person contacts the attorneys for the free consultation.
- The attorneys are not required to take the person on as a client, although if circumstances warrant it, we hope they do.
- Attorneys in the Network can apply for funding for cases of sexual harassment and related retaliation through the TIME’S UP Legal Defense Fund. Learn more here
As a member of the Network:
- You agree that we can provide your name and contact information to individuals who need legal assistance, identifying you as an attorney in their area willing to consider taking on sexual harassment and/or sex discrimination cases.
- You commit to undertaking an initial pro bono consultation when someone reaches out to you through the Network for assistance, and to make best efforts to respond to an initial inquiry with five business days and meet with them within two weeks of the inquiry.
- You agree to provide brief informational updates regarding these consultations and any representation arising out of them to the National Women’s Law Center Fund LLC at the following intervals: after the initial consultation, quarterly updates regarding significant events in the matter, and a final update after resolution of the matter. The National Women’s Law Center Fund LLC will email you quarterly to remind you about these informational updates.
- The National Women’s Law Center Fund LLC will provide opportunities for training and updates on key issues in the law of sex discrimination for Network attorneys and other interested parties.
- The National Women’s Law Center Fund LLC may reach out to you periodically in its efforts to identify compelling cases and individual stories that can be shared, with your client’s permission, to provide a human face for policy and advocacy initiatives.
- The National Women’s Law Center Fund LLC may reach out to you periodically with opportunities to demonstrate support for state and federal policies that provide strengthened protections for women and girls experiencing harassment and other forms of discrimination.
If you join the Network, we will provide your name and contact information for informational purposes only to those seeking representation. Providing this information does not constitute a specific referral or an endorsement, recommendation or approval of any lawyers in this Network. By providing information about you to an individual who contacts us seeking legal information or assistance, the National Women’s Law Center Fund LLC is not entering into an attorney-client relationship with that individual or agreeing to be your co-counsel should you represent the individual.
To join the Network, please complete the form below.