Reports & Toolkits 2 minutes

What to Bring to a VITA/TCE/Tax-Aide Site

Items you need to bring to have your tax returns prepared:

  • Proof of identification – Picture ID
  • Social Security Cards for you, your spouse and dependents or a Social Security Number
    verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration OR Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter for you, your spouse and dependents
  • Proof of foreign status, if applying for an ITIN
  • Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
  • Wage and earning statement(s) Form W-2,W-2G, 1099-R, 1099-Misc from all employers
  • Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
  • A copy of last year’s federal and state returns if available
  • Proof of bank account routing numbers and account numbers for Direct Deposit, such as a blank check
  • Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider’s tax identifying number (the provider’s Social Security Number or the provider’s business Employer Identification Number) if appropriate
  • To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms.
  • If you received health insurance through the Marketplace this year, bring the Health Insurance Marketplace Statement—Form 1095-A—you received from the Marketplace.
  • If you didn’t have health insurance this year, but qualify for a coverage exemption from the Health Insurance Marketplace, bring the “exemption certificate number” you received from the Marketplace. For more information, go to
Published On: December 15, 2015Associated Issues: Tax Credits Outreach
Take Action Donate
facebook twitter instagram search paper-plane