Over 150 Women’s Organizations Oppose Judge Gorsuch for Supreme Court
Today, over 150 organizations, including NWLC, that serve women and advocate for policies of critical importance to women sent a letter to the U.S. Senate opposing the nomination of Judge Neil Gorsuch to the Supreme Court.
In particular, the letter pointed to Judge Gorsuch’s troubling record on legal issues important to women, including:
- Judge Gorsuch’s record shows hostility to the constitutional right to privacy.
- Judge Gorsuch ruled to allow corporations’ religious beliefs to override women’s insurance coverage of contraception.
- Judge Gorsuch deferred to political efforts to defund Planned Parenthood.
- Judge Gorsuch’s record makes clear that he is a threat to the LGBTQ community.
- Judge Gorsuch’s approach in workplace discrimination cases favors employers over people.
- Judge Gorsuch questioned whether judges should defer to federal agencies’ expert interpretations of the laws, which provide critical protections upon which people depend.
Judge Gorsuch’s record on women’s legal issues supports only one possible conclusion: if he is confirmed, women would feel the devastating impact of his decisions for generations to come. As a result, the signatories of this letter (including NWLC) strongly oppose Judge Gorsuch’s nomination.