The Legal Network for Gender Equity and TIME’S UP Legal Defense Fund hosted a webinar “Survivors Speaking Out: A Toolkit About Defamation Lawsuits and Other Retaliation–A Resource for Advocates and Attorneys who Assist Survivors” on November 2, 2023.
- Provided an overview of a new comprehensive toolkit developed by the National Women’s Law Center and Know Your IX in conjunction with students, survivors, and advocates.
- Informed attorneys and other advocates about how they can help survivors–both at school and in the workplace–better understand their rights, risks, and options when deciding whether to speak out about sex-based harassment and, if so, how to do it as safely as possible.
- Explained the role of anti-strategic lawsuit against public participation (anti-SLAPP) laws in protecting people in defamation lawsuits and shared more about a resource outlining whether anti-SLAPP resources exist in your state or U.S. territory.
- Emma Grasso Levine (she/they), Title IX Policy & Program Manager, Know Your IX
- Elizabeth Tang (she/her), Senior Counsel, National Women’s Law Center
- Lizzy Vogel (she/her), Senior Counsel, Legal Network for Gender Equity & TIMES UP Legal Defense Fund, National Women’s Law Center (Moderator)
Copies of the slides are available for download on this page.
You can find the toolkit here. This link includes English, Spanish, printer-friendly and screen-reader accessible versions.