The Legal Network for Gender Equity connects individuals facing sex discrimination at work, at school, and as patients receiving health care with legal help. We do this in partnership with the attorneys in our Legal Network – a nationwide network of attorneys committed to helping people fight for their rights to be free from sexual harassment and other sex discrimination.
LEGAL NETWORK FOR GENDER EQUITY
How to Join:
- Attorneys join our Legal Network by completing an online application form. Attorneys indicate the types of cases they work on and the states where they practice. Joining the Legal Network is free.
- Attorneys in the Network agree to give anyone contacting then through the Network a first consultation for free.
- Attorneys in the Network agree to undergo some form of trauma-informed training annually.
- Attorneys in the Network also provide information about malpractice insurance and prior discipline.
How The Legal Network for Gender Equity Works
- Individuals who have experienced sex harassment or other sex discrimination, or related retaliation, in the workplace, at school, or as patients seeking health care complete our online form.
- We send individuals the names of three attorneys in the Legal Network who practice in their state. Attorneys receive an email when their name has been provided to someone through the Legal Network
- The individual reaches out to the attorneys to discuss their situation.
- Legal Network attorneys provide a free initial legal consultation to individuals connected to them through the Legal Network. At that consultation, the person discusses their case and can get advice on next steps.
- Legal Network attorneys are not required to represent individuals connected to them through this process; if the circumstances warrant it, however, we hope they do.
- Legal Network attorneys may apply for funding from the TIME’S UP Legal Defense Fund to defray costs and attorney’s fees in cases involving workplace sex harassment and related retaliation. More information about this funding and how to apply is available here.
As a member of the Network:
- You agree that we can provide your name and contact information to individuals who need legal help, identifying you as an attorney that practices in the individual’s geographic area and is willing to take on cases involving sex harassment and/or other sex discrimination.
- You commit to providing free initial legal consultations to individuals connected to you through the Legal Network. Further, you commit to make best efforts to respond to an initial inquiry within five business days and to meet with the individual within two weeks.
- The Legal Network will provide opportunities for training and updates on key issues in the law of sex discrimination for Legal Network attorneys and other interested parties.
- We may reach out to you periodically to help us identify compelling cases and individual stories that can be shared, with your client’s permission, to support the National Women’s Law Center’s policy and advocacy initiatives.
- We may reach out to you periodically with opportunities to demonstrate support for state and federal policies that provide strengthened protections for women and girls experiencing sex harassment and other forms of sex discrimination.
- Read more about what we expect from attorneys in the Legal Network here.
The Legal Network for Gender Equity is housed at and administered by the National Women’s Law Center Fund, LLC. If you join the Legal Network, we will provide your name and contact information for informational purposes only to those individuals requesting legal help through the Legal Network. Providing this information does not constitute a specific referral or an endorsement, recommendation, or approval of any attorneys in the Legal Network. Further, in providing this information, the National Women’s Law Center Fund LLC is not entering into an attorney-client relationship with individuals requesting legal help through the Legal Network nor agreeing to co-counsel with Legal Network attorneys representing those individuals.
Join the Legal Network! The application is below.
Legal Network Attorney FAQs
Have questions about joining the Legal Network for Gender Equity? Check out some of our FAQs here!Click here