Associate for the Office of the President & CEO
The National Women’s Law Center (NWLC) seeks a self-starter with an eye for detail who has strong communication skills, and good judgment to join its staff as an Associate for the Office of the President & CEO. The Associate for the Office of President & CEO is responsible for providing administrative support to the President & CEO, the COO & Chief of Staff, and the Vice President & General Counsel as well as administrative, logistical, and project management support to the for supporting the senior team overall. In addition to possessing strong administrative, organizational, written, and verbal communications skills, the Associate must have the ability to prioritize projects and handle highly sensitive and confidential information with the utmost discretion.
The National Women’s Law Center fights for gender justice—in the courts, in public policy, and in our society—working across the issues that are central to the lives of women and girls.
We use the law in all its forms to change culture and drive solutions to the gender inequity that shapes our society and to break down the barriers that harm all of us—especially women of color, LGBTQIA+ people, and low-income women and families.
For 50 years, we have been on the leading edge of every major legal and policy victory for women, and we need you with us to continue this fight. Find out more at NWLC.org.
- Provide administrative and proactive logistical support for the President & CEO, the COO & Chief of Staff, and the Vice President & General Counsel including calendar management; coordination of calls/emails, travel, and meeting logistics; and processing expense reports;
- Provide administrative support for senior team meetings, internal staff working groups, and networks of COOs and General Counsels convened by NWLC, including assistance with preparing and circulating written materials, scheduling meetings and calls, and taking notes;
- Project manage special projects including developing deadlines, communicating with third parties, and documenting work;
- Help with organizing confidential communications with NWLC United; provide project management support, as appropriate, for initiatives led by the Office of the President & CEO including labor-management relations;
- Serve as a back-up to the Executive Assistant to the President & CEO; and
- Other duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate must possess:
- Proficiency in MS Word, MS Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, and Asana (or similar project management software);
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Ability to prioritize, organize and complete work independently, and with discretion;
- Strong organizational skills;
- Must be a self-starter with an eye for detail, flexibility, and good judgment as well as the ability to learn quickly and handle multiple, concurrent tasks and assignments in an effective manner;
- Demonstrated ability to work well in a fast-paced, diverse, and inclusive team setting, remaining flexible, resourceful, and proactive; and
- Demonstrated ability to handle sensitive situations and to handle a wide variety of tasks and confidential matters with the utmost discretion.
Additional preferred skills and knowledge:
- Experience in an administrative capacity for a senior executive, preferably at a non-profit organization, labor union, government agency, or law firm.
- Demonstrated commitment to and experience working on gender and racial equity and centering communities of color in their approach to work.
The Associate reports to the Deputy General Counsel. This role works closely with the COO & Chief of Staff, the members of the Office of General Counsel, and the Executive Assistant to the President & CEO and Liaison to the Board of Directors.
This position is classified as a confidential employee and as such is not included in the union-represented bargaining unit, NWLC United, affiliated with the Nonprofit Professional Employees Union/IFPTE Local 70.
Compensation & Benefits
A minimum salary of $61,540 will be provided to the successful candidate who has experience directly relevant to this role, consistent with the National Women’s Law Center’s compensation framework.
The Law Center offers a comprehensive benefits package, and four weeks of annual vacation.
NWLC is a non-profit organization whose headquarters and staff are based in Washington, D.C. However, due to the COVID-19 public health emergency, most NWLC staff are temporarily teleworking with the option to work from our office, located in historic Dupont Circle (moving to Franklin Square in early 2023). We continue to monitor public health guidance and keep safety, science, and flexibility top of mind as we evaluate what reopening looks like for our team.
To apply for this position, please forward a resume cover letter outlining how your professional background is a good fit for the position, as well as three (3) supervisory references. Resumes should include exact start and end dates (month and year) of employment. Please send application materials via email to: [email protected] and include the position title in the subject line. Applications accepted until position is filled.
The National Women’s Law Center is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and values a diverse workforce. We strongly encourage and seek applications from people with disabilities; people of all genders, gender identities, and sexual orientations; people of color, including bilingual and bicultural individuals; veterans; and LGBTQIA+ individuals.
If you require reasonable accommodations during any part of the hiring process, please email us at [email protected].