The Accounts Payable Manager is an integral member of the finance team and will manage the timely and accurate processing of accounts payable using check, ACH, credit card, and wire payments methods for the National Women’s Law Center and its affiliates. The position is responsible for maintaining and enforcing proper accounts payable policies and practices, and internal controls to ensure company assets are safeguarded.
The National Women’s Law Center fights for gender justice—in the courts, in public policy, and in our society—working across the issues that are central to the lives of women and girls.
We use the law in all its forms to change culture and drive solutions to the gender inequity that shapes our society and to break down the barriers that harm all of us—especially women of color, LGBTQ people, and low-income women and families.
The National Women’s Law Center Action Fund is a 501(c)4 affiliate of NWLC, aiming to drive progressive change in our policies and laws so that all women and girls can live, learn, and work with safety, dignity, and equality. Another affiliate, the National Women’s Fund LLC, houses and administers the Legal Network for Gender Equity and the TIME’S UP Legal Defense Fund.
For almost 50 years, we have been on the leading edge of every major legal and policy victory for women. Find out more at NWLC.org.
- Responsible for managing all accounts payable activities for NWLC, NWLC Fund and NWLC Action Fund;
- Ensure timely payments of vendor invoices and expense reimbursements, maintain accurate records, and control reports and organize vendor files for all three entities;
- Ensure that vendor invoices are properly accounted for. Ensure accuracy in daily invoices and meet time limits and deadlines;
- Research and resolve payment issues with vendors;
- Reconcile monthly vendor statements and maintain all accounts;
- Ensure that all account payable functions are performed in accordance with the organization’s internal control procedures and policies;
- Manage internal and external inquiries around accounts payable are answered in a timely and proactive way;
- Review all vendor and employee reimbursement batches before payments are prepared or ensure that they are reviewed by a separate team member from the preparer;
- Ensure that all fully executed vendor contracts are received by Finance before payments are made and that these contracts are filed in an organized manner;
- Ensure that unclaimed checks are handled in accordance with local regulations regarding unclaimed property;
- Supervise the receipt of W-9s from vendors and preparation of 1099s at year-end;
- Responsible for maintaining and reconciling the petty cash account;
- Assist with month and year end close by analyzing accounts payable activities for performance, including timeliness, accuracy, and proper general ledger coding;
- Assist with training new and existing staff on existing accounts payable systems (Nexonia and AvidXchange);
- Proactively assist the Controller to identify solutions focused on creating more efficiencies in the accounts payable function;
- Perform administrator duties for Nexonia expense reimbursement, AvidXchange accounts payable systems and credit card online access;
- Participate in other projects, assignments, and administrative tasks, as needed.
A candidate must possess:
- A minimum of 2 years of relevant work experience, particularly with nonprofits and a focus on accounts payable management;
- Excellent organizational and time management skills – must be able to work effectively under pressure, handle multiple tasks/demands simultaneously, and adapt quickly to shifting priorities;
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills;
- Strong knowledge of US GAAP, and non-profit financial accounting principles;
- Experience with Sage Intacct, invoice and payment automated software and expense management tools;
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task, to work independently and within strict time constraints;
- Demonstrated commitment to and experience working on gender and racial equity and centering communities of color in their approach to work.
Additional preferred skills and knowledge:
- S or B.A in Accounting or Finance;
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a diverse, collaborative team environment.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook.
The Accounts Payable Manager will report directly to the Director of Finance and will supervise the Accountant Associate. In addition, the Accounts Payable will work closely with the Controller and the rest of the Finance team.
Compensation & Benefits
A minimum salary of $73,913 will be provided to the successful candidate who has at least 2 years’ of experience directly relevant to this role, consistent with the National Women’s Law Center’s compensation framework .
The Center offers a comprehensive benefits package, and four weeks of annual vacation.
NWLC is a non-profit organization whose headquarters and staff are based in Washington, D.C., with our office located in historic Dupont Circle. However, due to the COVID-19 public health emergency, all NWLC staff are temporarily working remotely. We continue to monitor public health guidance and keep safety, science, and flexibility top of mind as we evaluate what reopening looks like for our team.
NWLC recognizes a staff bargaining unit, NWLC United, affiliated with the Nonprofit Professional Employees Union/IFPTE Local 70, a union for non-profit workers. This position is included in NWLC’s bargaining unit. Specific employment terms are subject to collective bargaining.
How to Apply
To apply, please submit a resume and a cover letter to [email protected]. Resumes should include exact start and end dates (month and year) of employment. In your cover letter, please describe how your professional background is a good fit for this position. Applications accepted until position is filled.
The National Women’s Law Center is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and values a diverse workforce. We strongly encourage and seek applications from people with disabilities; people of all gender identities and sexual orientations; people of color; and veterans.
If you require reasonable accommodations during any part of the hiring process, please email [email protected].