The Legal Network for Gender Equity and TIME’S UP Legal Defense Fund hosted a webinar on “Defending Queer and Transgender Students: Hot Topics in Civil Rights Law,” on July 20, 2022.
This webinar addressed the following topics:
- Legal protections for LGBTQI+ studentsunder Title IX, the U.S. Constitution, and state laws
- Recent trends in the law impacting civil rights protections for LGBTQI+ individuals, including how the Supreme Court’s recent decision in Cummingsimpacts LGBTQI+ individuals’ recourse under Title IX and Title VII
- Religious exemptions to non-discrimination protectionsfor LGBTQI+ students, recent cases to be aware of, and how attorneys representing LGBTQI+ clients should respond to these exemptions
- Trauma-informed and affirming practicesfor representing LGBTQI+ clients
- Ming-Qi Chu (she/her/hers), Deputy Director, Women’s Rights Project, American Civil Liberties Union
- Hunter Frank Iannucci (they/them), Legal Fellow, National Women’s Law Center (panel moderator)
- Daniel Mach (he/him/his), Director, ACLU Program on Freedom of Religion and Belief
- Elizabeth Pinolini (they/them/theirs), Staff Attorney, Whitman-Walker Health Legal Services
Copies of the slides are available for download on this page.