Strategy & Policy Manager-State
The Strategy & Policy Manager is a key member of the Law Center’s cross-cutting Strategy & Policy team. The Manager will provide project management for the Law Center’s growing efforts to fight for gender justice across issue areas with state advocates and policymakers and to related work conducted by the Law Center’s Action Fund.
About the Organization
The National Women’s Law Center fights for gender justice—in the courts, in public policy, and in our society—working across the issues that are central to the lives of women and girls.
We use the law in all its forms to change culture and drive solutions to the gender inequity that shapes our society and to break down the barriers that harm all of us—especially women of color, LGBTQ people, and low-income women and families.
For almost 50 years, we have been on the leading edge of every major legal and policy victory for women. Find out more at NWLC.org.
The National Women’s Law Center Action Fund is a 501(c)4 affiliate of NWLC, aiming to drive progressive change in our policies and laws so that all women and girls can live, learn, and work with safety, dignity, and equality.
- Project manage plans for cross-cutting state work and Action Fund work by maintaining up to date work plans, tracking deadlines, drafting contracts, helping develop agendas for regular Action Fund meetings, and more;
- Support programming and logistics for activities and events in states, including maintaining project plans; helping to develop agendas for roundtables, townhalls, panels, forums, and other events; liaising with partners; hosting prep calls; preparing background materials to support state events; and more;
- Develop and manage cross-issue state-focused webinars, blogs, and other written resources;
- Organize NWLC appearances and participation in state elected officials network convenings, by coordinating with the state elected officials networks, the Strategy & Policy team, and NWLC program teams as well as the Communications team to determine the focus of NWLC participation; organizing the NWLC materials that support our participation; and more.
The candidate must possess:
- At least two years of relevant experience developing and tracking work plans, supporting in-person or virtual events, working with state or national advocacy organizations and/or elected officials, and/or supporting advocacy campaigns;
- Strong event and project management skills;
- Detail oriented, strong organizational skills, proven ability to problem solve, and nimbleness in adapting to changing circumstances;
- Strong oral and written communication skills;
- Demonstrated experience working independently to develop and complete original projects and content;
- Demonstrated experience with project management and database management systems;
- Ability and willingness to travel 20% of the time
Additional preferred skills and knowledge:
- A Bachelor’s Degree;
- Demonstrated commitment to and experience working on gender and racial equity and centering communities of color in their approach to work;
- Sound and strategic judgment; and
- A collaborative and collegial approach.
The Manager will report to the Director of Cross-Cutting Community Partnerships and will work with members across the Strategy & Policy team as well was programmatic and communications staff.
Compensation and Benefits
A minimum salary of $73,913 will be provided to the successful candidate having at least 2 years of experience directly relevant to this role, consistent with National Women’s Law Center’s compensation framework.
The Center offers a comprehensive benefits package, and four weeks of annual vacation.
NWLC is a non-profit organization whose headquarters and staff are based in Washington, D.C., with our office located in historic Dupont Circle. However, due to the COVID-19 public health emergency, all NWLC staff are temporarily working remotely. We continue to monitor public health guidance and keep safety, science, and flexibility top of mind as we evaluate what reopening looks like for our team.
NWLC recognizes a staff bargaining unit, NWLC United, affiliated with the Nonprofit Professional Employees Union/IFPTE Local 70, a union for non-profit workers. This position is included in NWLC’s bargaining unit. Specific employment terms are subject to collective bargaining.
How to Apply
How to Apply Please submit a cover letter, resume, 2-page writing sample, and contact information for three professional references to [email protected] and include ”Strategy & Policy Manager” in the subject line. Resumes should include exact start and end dates of employment. Applications accepted until position is filled.
The National Women’s Law Center is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and values a diverse workforce. We strongly encourage and seek applications from people with disabilities; people of all gender identities and sexual orientations; people of color; and veterans.
If you require reasonable accommodations during any part of the hiring process, please email us at [email protected].