Deputy General Counsel
Reporting to the General Counsel (GC) and housed in the Office of the President & CEO, the Deputy General Counsel will assist the GC in advising the organization on all legal, compliance, risk management matters; helping analyze and manage legal and reputational risk; and ensuring that the practices, policies and operations of the organization and its affiliates meet all legal and regulatory requirements wherever NWLC and its affiliates operate, engaging outside counsel as needed. The Deputy GC will have their own portfolio to lead, as detailed below.
The National Women’s Law Center fights for gender justice—in the courts, in public policy, and in our society—working across the issues that are central to the lives of women and girls.
We use the law in all its forms to change culture and drive solutions to the gender inequity that shapes our society and to break down the barriers that harm all of us—especially women of color, LGBTQ people, and low-income women and families.
The National Women’s Law Center Action Fund is a 501(c)4 affiliate of NWLC, aiming to drive progressive change in our policies and laws so that all women and girls can live, learn, and work with safety, dignity, and equality. Another affiliate, the National Women’s Fund LLC, houses and administers the Legal Network for Gender Equity and the TIME’S UP Legal Defense Fund.
For almost 50 years, we have been on the leading edge of every major legal and policy victory for women. Find out more at NWLC.org.
- Serve as a thought partner to the GC;
- Manage the NWLC contract review and approval process, including drafting contract templates and reviewing and negotiating contracts across the entire organization;
- Lead the organization on legal matters related to intellectual property; charitable solicitations; information security and privacy; and nonprofit rules related to lobbying and political activities, including the preparation of state and federal lobbying reports;
- Advise on legal aspects of structuring collaborations for NWLC and its related entities with other organizations;
- Identify and assess legal and business risks to the organization, including advising the Vice President for Administration and Finance on all business and professional liability insurance needs;
- Provide counsel to NWLC attorneys on legal ethics issues;
- Identify and evaluate emerging legal issues for the organization and its affiliates using a strong problem-solving and solutions orientation, proactively seeking out and staying current on relevant legal developments;
- Support the GC on labor and employment matters;
- Engage and manage outside counsel as needed;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
A candidate must possess:
- A law degree and admission to a state bar with ability to waive into the DC Bar if not already admitted;
- A minimum of 7 years of relevant experience, ideally in a nonprofit legal and policy organization and/or in-house counsel role;
- Familiarity with the various legal and compliance issues facing U.S. nonprofit organizations, particularly in the areas of contract law, intellectual property, information security and privacy, insurance and professional liability, charitable solicitations, and state and federal lobbying regulations;
- Experience negotiating complex and sophisticated contracts, including ability to assess and articulate appropriate risk/reward analyses, with strong negotiation and dispute resolution skills;
- Demonstrated initiative, including ability to proactively identify and address issues and make recommendations on difficult and sensitive issues;
- Demonstrated ability to exercise good judgment, problem solve, and perform well independently with a solutions-oriented approach;
- Excellent research, analytical, oral and written communication skills;
- Outstanding time management and organizational skills, with careful attention to detail and accountability for meeting deliverables and deadlines in a fast-paced, multi-tasking environment;
- Collaborative and collegial approach, an ability and desire to work in a team-based environment, demonstrated ability to build trust with internal and external stakeholders, and an orientation to the work that recognizes and values the contributions of all team members; and
Additional preferred skills and knowledge:
- Ability to work well and effectively partner with others in a dynamic environment;
- Experience working for or volunteering with 501(c)(4) organizations;
- Experience working for a union or in a unionized workplace;
- Demonstrated commitment to and experience working on gender and racial equity and centering communities of color in their approach to work.
This position reports to the General Counsel, is housed within the Office of the President & CEO, and works with most teams across NWLC, particularly with members of the Administration & Finance Team. This position currently does not involve supervising any direct reports.
Compensation & Benefits
A minimum salary of $116,433 will be provided to the successful candidate who has at least 7 years of experience directly relevant to this role, consistent with the National Women’s Law Center’s compensation framework.
The Center offers a comprehensive benefits package, and four weeks of annual vacation.
NWLC is a non-profit organization whose headquarters and staff are based in Washington, D.C., with our office located in historic Dupont Circle. However, due to the COVID-19 public health emergency, all NWLC staff are temporarily working remotely. We continue to monitor public health guidance and keep safety, science, and flexibility top of mind as we evaluate what reopening looks like for our team.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please forward a resume and cover letter outlining your interests and qualifications as well as contact information for 3 references. Resumes should include exact start and end dates (month and year) of employment. Please send application materials via e-mail to: [email protected] and include the position title in the subject line. Electronic submissions are preferred. Applications accepted until position is filled.
The National Women’s Law Center is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and values a diverse workforce. We strongly encourage and seek applications from people with disabilities; people of all gender identities and sexual orientations; people of color; and veterans.
If you require reasonable accommodations during any part of the hiring process, please email us at [email protected].