The National Women’s Law Center (NWLC) seeks a campaigner and organizer who is an effective communicator, pushing boundaries to change the narratives and culture that prevent progress on gender justice. The role will support issue campaigns and other initiatives that advance progress for women and girls at school, at work, at home, and in their communities, with a particular focus on reproductive health and freedom.
The Campaigns Associate, centered on the Marketing & Communications team, will work with a team of people to support the implementation of compelling, creative, and effective issue advocacy campaigns using both digital and on-the-ground tools and strategies across issue areas of NWLC.
The National Women’s Law Center (NWLC) fights for gender justice — in the courts, in public policy, and in our society — working across the issues that are central to the lives of women and girls.
We use the law in all its forms to change culture and drive solutions to the gender inequity that shapes our society and to break down the barriers that harm all of us — especially women of color, LGBTQ+ people, and low-income women and families.
For 50 years, we have been on the leading edge of every major legal and policy victory for women, and we need you with us to continue this fight.
- Supports the Campaigns team in executing multi-channel campaigns strategies that forward the Center’s legislative, policy, and narrative change goals.
- Develops and writes action alerts, social media content, blog posts, toolkits, and other related materials;
- Provides strong project management and logistical support for relevant campaigns;
- Partners with the full communications team and program/legal team to organize occasional on-the-ground activations and events in collaboration with Senior Manager of Events, and other partner organizations;
- As needed and in collaboration with campaigns staff, coordinates meetings, conference calls, speaking opportunities, and other NWLC-hosted events;
- Manage relationships with consultants and other vendors.
- Occasionally, collaborates with relevant NWLC teams to facilitate story collection and related products from grantees, partner organizations, and individuals most directly affected by our work.
The candidate must possess:
- Demonstrated ability to grasp key policy messages and effectively communicate them to a variety of audiences, especially across digital channels;
- Experience in effectively maintaining relationships with coalition partners and other stakeholders;
- Demonstrate commitment to working on gender and racial equity and centering communities of color and other historically marginalized communities in their approach to work and executing key responsibilities;
- Strong writing skills and experience writing across platforms and for diverse audiences.
- Strong project management and intra-organizational communications skills.
Additional preferred skills and knowledge:
- Experience working on reproductive freedom, gender justice, racial justice, or other relevant issues.
- Solid interpersonal skills, and experience working with diverse constituencies.
- Experience working with impacted communities.
- Proven effectiveness working on a fast-paced, collaborative team; and
- Works effectively in moments of rapid response.
The Campaigns Associate reports to the Director of Campaigns. Additionally, the Associate will collaborate closely with teams across the Law Center’s issue areas.
Compensation & Benefits
A minimum salary of $51,973.00 will be provided to the successful candidate, consistent with the National Women’s Law Center’s compensation framework.
The Center offers a comprehensive benefits package, and four weeks of annual vacation.
NWLC is a non-profit organization whose headquarters and staff are based in Washington, D.C., However, due to the COVID-19 public health emergency, most NWLC staff are temporarily teleworking with the option to work from our office, which is located in historic Dupont Circle (moving to Franklin Square in early 2023). We continue to monitor public health guidance and keep safety, science, and flexibility top of mind as we evaluate what reopening looks like for our team.
NWLC recognizes a staff bargaining unit, NWLC United, affiliated with the Nonprofit Professional Employees Union/IFPTE Local 70, a union for non-profit workers. This position is included in NWLC’s bargaining unit. Specific employment terms are subject to collective bargaining.
How to Apply
To apply, please forward a resume and a cover letter outlining how your professional background is a good fit for this position. Resumes should include exact start and end dates (month and year) of employment. Please send application materials via email to: [email protected] and include the position title in the subject line. Applications accepted until position is filled.
The National Women’s Law Center is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and values a diverse workforce. We strongly encourage and seek applications from people with disabilities; people of all gender identities and sexual orientations; people of color; and veterans.
If you require reasonable accommodations during any part of the hiring process, please email [email protected].