What You Can Do To Help Stop the Deceptive Practices of “Crisis Pregnancy Centers” (CPCs)?

File a complaint! The law is on your side. Even though you may feel that people in power won’t listen to you or take you seriously, it is important to speak up. If you, a family member, or friend was tricked or lied to by a CPC, you can file a consumer protection complaint. Filing a complaint will help other women, including your family and friends, protect their health.

Every state has a consumer protection law that prohibits businesses from engaging in unfair and dishonest practices. Anyone can submit a complaint if they think a business has broken the law. The state Attorney General or consumer protection agency enforces the law by investigating complaints.

CPCs should be bound by these laws — they should follow honest advertising practices, clearly say what services they do and do not offer, and provide accurate medical information about health care options. By submitting a complaint against a deceptive CPC, you bring the state’s attention to the problem. After Texan women filed complaints, the government took action, forcing one CPC to stop falsely advertising itself as an abortion clinic. Your actions can lead to change and help prevent other women from being deceived. You can even file a complaint if you know of a friend or family member who was tricked or lied to.

The consumer protection agencies are there to help you. The National Women’s Law Center is available to assist you in filing a complaint or answer any questions you may have. You can contact us by phone 1(855)CPC-FACT or email


Click on your state on the map below for specific information on how to file a complaint in your state. General information on filing a complaint is below the map.


State List

Rhode Island Delaware Maine New Hampshire Vermont Massachusetts Rhode Island Connecticut New York New Jersey Pennsylvania Delaware Maryland West Virigina Virginia Ohio Indiana Kentucky North Carolina Tennessee South Carolina Florida Georgia Alabama Mississippi Illinois Michigan Wisconsin Louisiana Arkansas Missouri Iowa Minnesota Texas Oklahoma Kansas Nebraska South Dakota North Dakota Colorado Wyoming Montana Idaho Utah New Mexico Arizona Nevada Washington Oregon California Hawaii Alaska Washington DC


Filing a Complaint

Before you file the complaint, you will want to gather all of your information. In the complaint, you will need to provide, the name and address of the CPC, a description of the services you expected to receive and the services you actually received. As you are preparing the complaint, you might want to think about:

  • How did you become aware of the CPC?
  • Was the CPC advertised under “abortion services” or “clinics”?
  • What services did the CPC appear to offer? What did the CPC tell you about these services?
  • Did the CPC say or refuse to say (a) whether it was a medical facility? (b) whether it offered birth control or abortion services?
  • What services did you expect the CPC to make available to you?
  • What services were you actually offered or provided?
  • Were you forced to watch anti-abortion videos or given inaccurate of false information?
  • Did your experience with the CPC cause you to visit a doctor or receive care later than you would have had you not gone to the CPC?

The National Women’s Law Center is available to assist you in filing a complaint or answer any questions you may have. You can contact us by phone 1(855)CPC-FACT or email

Check out our other resources for more information on Crisis Pregnancy Centers. We also have available for download an informational brochure and card:

Published On: January 8, 2014
Take Action Donate
facebook twitter instagram search paper-plane