On September 17, 2020 the House of Representatives passed the Pregnant Workers Fairness Act (PWFA) in a bipartisan 329-73 vote—with 103 Republicans voting in support of the bill. This legislation would require employers to make reasonable accommodations for those pregnant employees who need them — just like the law already clearly requires for employees with disabilities.
This strong vote was due in no small part to hundreds of organizations coming together to demonstrate strong support for the bill. During the floor vote, the following coalition support letters were entered into the record in support of the bill:
- Letter from the broad-based PWFA Coalition.
- Letter from the Consortium for Citizens with Disabilities Rights Task Force.
- Letter from public health professionals, health care clinicians, and maternal health organizations dedicated to the health and well-being of mothers, infants, and families.
- Letter from organizations dedicated to ending racial injustice and systemic racism, including dismantling the racism that contributes to this country’s Black maternal health crisis.
- Letter from religious and faith-based organizations representing a diversity of faith traditions and communities across the nation.