The National Women’s Law Center seeks a Senior Counsel to administer and support the Legal Network for Gender Equity and the newly instituted TIME’S UP Legal Defense Fund.
The Legal Network for Gender Equity connects individuals experiencing a broad array of types of sex discrimination with attorneys willing to take on sex discrimination cases. The TIME’S UP Legal Defense Fund connects those who experience sexual misconduct in the workplace or in trying to advance their careers (including assault, harassment, and related retaliation) with legal and communications assistance, using the infrastructure of the Legal Network for Gender Equity. The Fund also provides financial support to defray the costs of legal representation and/or communications assistance in select cases. Both the Network and the Fund are housed at and administered by the National Women’s Law Center Fund LLC.
The Senior Counsel will play a key role in ensuring the success of the TIME’S UP Legal Defense Fund, a high-profile, multi-million dollar endeavor that seeks to leverage legal assistance for those challenging workplace sexual harassment and related retaliation in a program first-of-its-kind in scale. As part of this effort, the Senior Counsel will also participate in the litigation of selected cases brought by the Center challenging sexual harassment.
The Senior Counsel will report to the Director of the TIME’S UP Legal Defense Fund. This exempt position, based in Washington, D.C., is funded for three years; it may be extended depending upon funding.
Expanding possibilities. Eliminating barriers. We are passionate champions of national and state policies and laws that help women and girls achieve their potential throughout their lives- at school, at work, at home, in their families, and in their communities. We are committed advocates who take on the toughest challenges, especially for women who face multiple and intersecting forms of discrimination and women who are low-income – and we make change happen. We are proud to have been on the front lines of virtually every major advance for women since 1972, benefiting women, their families, their communities, and the nation.
- Help shape strategies and priorities for the Network and the TIME’S UP Legal Defense Fund
- Conduct outreach to and maintain close working relationships with pro bono attorneys and coalition partners;
- Evaluate intakes and funding requests;
- Consult with and responding to inquiries from pro bono attorneys and attorneys seeking assistance from the TIME’S UP Legal Defense Fund;
- Develop and provide training and legal education materials for attorneys and otherwise work to increase the capacity of the private bar to litigate sexual harassment and sex discrimination cases;
- Coordinate creation of know your rights resources for the public;
- Analyze data gathered through intake and other sources to inform litigation and outreach efforts;
- Engage in all aspects of litigation, in partnership with pro bono co-counsel, including developing new cases, written discovery, taking and defending depositions, motion practice, trials and appeals;
- Work closely with other staff at the Center, including other members of the Education & Workplace Justice team, the Legal Director, and External Affairs team;
- Represent the Center at public events, conferences, and in the media as needed.
The candidate must have:
- A law degree and admission to a state bar with ability to waive into the DC Bar if not already admitted;
- 5+ years of legal experience;
- Strong research, analytical, oral and written communication skills;
- Willingness and ability to travel from time to time;
- Genuine passion for the mission of the National Women’s Law Center; and
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Deep understanding of workplace sexual harassment;
- Experience working with survivors of sexual harassment or sexual violence or otherwise providing direct assistance to individuals in crisis;
- Sound and strategic judgment with careful attention to detail, ability to problem solve, and nimbleness in adapting to changing circumstances;
- Knowledge of and experience with employment discrimination law;
- Significant public interest litigation experience (ideally including experience with client interviewing, written discovery, motions practice, taking and defending depositions, oral arguments, hearings, and witness presentation);
- Experience with public speaking and communicating to a wide range of audiences;
- Fluency in a language other than English; and
- Collaborative and collegial approach, and an ability and desire to work in a team-based environment.
Compensation will be commensurate with experience.
If you are interested in joining the NWLC team, submit a cover letter describing your qualifications, a resume, a writing sample of no more than 8 pages, and three supervisory references. Electronic submissions are preferred. Please send materials to firstname.lastname@example.org and include position title “Senior Counsel, TIME’S UP Legal Defense Fund/Legal Network for Gender Equity” in the subject line. Hard copies may be addressed to: Human Resources Department, National Women’s Law Center, 11 Dupont Circle, Suite 800, Washington, DC 20036, FAX: 202-588-5185. The preferred deadline for applications for this position is Friday, June 1, 2018. Applications accepted until position is filled. No calls please.
The National Women’s Law Center is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and values a diverse workforce. We strongly encourage and seek applications from people with disabilities, people of all genders, people of color, including bilingual and bicultural individuals, veterans, and LGBTQI individuals.
As noted above, NWLC welcomes applications from individuals with disabilities. If you require reasonable accommodations during any part of the hiring process, please email us at email@example.com or you may send the request by mail to:
National Women’s Law Center
ATTN: Human Resources Director
11 Dupont Circle NW, Suite 800
Washington, DC 20036