The National Women’s Law Center’s cross-cutting Strategy & Policy team is accepting applications for a one-year Manager position to begin immediately. The Manager will support the Law Center’s growing efforts to fight for gender justice across issue areas with state advocates and policymakers using legislative and administrative advocacy, public education and outreach, and cutting-edge media strategies. This is a one-year term-limited, exempt position with possibility of extension.
About the Organization
The National Women’s Law Center fights for gender justice — in the courts, in public policy, and in our society — working across the issues that are central to the lives of women and girls.
We use the law in all its forms to change culture and drive solutions to the gender inequity that shapes our society and to break down the barriers that harm all of us — especially those who face multiple forms of discrimination, including women of color, LGBTQ people, and low-income women and families.
For more than 45 years, we have been on the leading edge of every major legal and policy victory for women, and we need you with us to continue this fight.
- Work with the VP for Strategy & Policy and Director of State Policy, Workplace Justice and Cross-Cutting Initiatives to help build and manage a coalition of national and state advocates to advance reforms addressing sexual harassment;
- Coordinate, plan, and convene regular communications with sexual harassment table in coordination with the Director for Workplace Equality and Director of State Policy, Workplace Justice and Cross Cutting Initiatives;
- Work with VP and Senior Manager on the Strategy & Policy team to support engagement strategies in key states for the Law Center’s 2020 “Pathway to Gender Justice” project.
- Build and maintain relationships;
- In coordination with the Senior Manager of Strategy & Policy and the Communications team, support programming for activities in the states including helping develop state convening agendas and supporting the development of state policy agenda to support state partners’ 2020 efforts.
The candidate must have:
- A Bachelor’s Degree, and/or comparable experience, and at least two years of relevant experience with building and managing coalitions, working with state or national advocacy organizations and/or elected officials, supporting advocacy campaigns, or direct legislative experience either at the state or federal level;
- Strong analytical, research, oral and written communication skills;
- Detail oriented, strong organizational skills, proven ability to problem solve, and nimbleness in adapting to changing circumstances;
- Ability and desire to work in a collaborative, team-based environment;
- Experience with project management and database management systems;
- Ability and willingness to travel 20% of the time; and
The ideal candidate will have:
- Experience working on the issues that affect the lives of women and girls across race, class, ability and other identities;
- Experience working with and/or centering communities of color in advocacy and/or electoral work;
- Commitment to gender equity and racial justice, including centering diversity and equity in executing key responsibilities;
- Experience working independently to develop and complete original projects and content;
- Sound and strategic judgment; and
- A collaborative and collegial approach.
The Manager will report to the Director of State Policy and Senior Manager of Strategy & Policy.
Compensation and Benefits
A minimum salary of $69,685 will be provided to the successful candidate having at least 2 years of experience directly relevant to this role, consistent with the National Women’s Law Center’s compensation framework.
The Center offers a comprehensive benefits package, and four weeks of annual vacation. NWLC is located on Metro’s Red Line in Dupont Circle.
How to Apply
Please submit a cover letter, resume, 2-page writing sample, and contact information for three professional references to email@example.com and include ”Strategy & Policy Manager” in the subject line. Resumes should include exact start and end dates of employment. In the cover letter, please address experience working on policy advocacy campaigns or legislative policy development. Hard copies may be addressed to: Human Resources Department, National Women’s Law Center, 11 Dupont Circle, Suite 800, Washington, DC 20036. Applications accepted until position is filled.
The National Women’s Law Center is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and values a diverse workforce. We strongly encourage and seek applications from people with disabilities, people of all genders, people of color and Indigenous people, including bilingual and bicultural individuals, veterans, and LGBTQI individuals.
As noted above, NWLC welcomes applications from individuals with disabilities. If you require reasonable accommodations during any part of the hiring process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or you may send the request by mail to:
National Women’s Law Center
ATTN: Human Resources Manager-Talent
11 Dupont Circle NW, Suite 800
Washington, DC 20036