Human Resources Generalist
The Human Resources Generalist is a key member of the HR team responsible for supporting the overall mission of the National Women’s Law Center. This position will be an integral part of the HR team and will have responsibilities in the following areas: onboarding/offboarding, benefits administration, HRIS management, staff wellness and employment law compliance.
The National Women’s Law Center fights for gender justice — in the courts, in public policy, and in our society — working across the issues that are central to the lives of women and girls.
We use the law in all its forms to change culture and drive solutions to the gender inequity that shapes our society and to break down the barriers that harm all of us — especially those who face multiple forms of discrimination, including women of color, LGBTQ people, and low-income women and families.
For more than 50 years, we have been on the leading edge of every major legal and policy victory for women, and we need you with us to continue this fight. Find out more at NWLC.org.
HR processes & practices:
- Handle all administrative tasks related to employee life cycle including onboarding & offboarding;
- Support the development and implementation of human resource policies and procedures;
- Assist in administering benefits, compensation, and employee performance programs;
- Serve as back-up for the recruitment process by coordinating job postings, reviewing resumes, performing reference checks and telephone interviews, if needed;
- Support compensation related activities such as new hire offers, salary increases to ensure compliance with the Law Center’s compensation framework;
- Manage monthly benefit premium invoicing and reconciliation;
- Maintain employee status changes and in coordination with IT manage employee directory and organizational charts;
- Perform other-HR related duties as required and assigned including managing special projects;
- Respond to staff questions about personnel policy, benefits, and HRIS employee portal related issues;
- Coordinate staff culture and engagement activities including wellness-related programming and new employee orientations;
- Collaborate with Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging team on staff engagement activities;
- Support Center-sponsored employee events as directed.
The ideal candidate will possess:
- Bachelor’s Degree and at least 1-2 years of Human Resources experience or equivalent combination for education and experience
- Advanced experience with ADP Workforce Now or similar HRIS system
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills to review and interpret data
- Proficiency in MS Office including MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, with ability to create tables and charts
- Demonstrated ability to deal appropriately with sensitive and confidential information
- Demonstrated ability to work well in a fast-paced, diverse and inclusive team setting, remaining flexible, resourceful and proactive
Additional preferred skills and knowledge:
- Basic knowledge of relevant federal and state employment laws and regulations
- Excellent communication skills
- Precise attention to detail and ability to multitask
- HR Industry Certification
- Genuine passion for and understanding of the mission of the National Women’s Law Center and gender justice
The HR Generalist will report directly to the Director of Human Resources. This position will collaborate closely with Senior HR Generalist, Senior Recruiter, and members of the Finance, IT and DEIB teams as well as the VP of Finance and Administration.
Compensation & Benefits
A minimum salary of $61,540 will be provided to the successful candidate, consistent with the National Women’s Law Center’s compensation framework.
The Center offers a comprehensive benefits package and four weeks of annual vacation.
NWLC is a non-profit organization whose headquarters and staff are based in Washington, D.C. NWLC’s telework policy is currently under review as we prepare to move into our new office at 1350 Eye Street N.W., Washington DC, in March 2023. The assumption is that all roles are based in D.C. and will be required to work in person at least monthly. We continue to monitor public health guidance and keep safety, science, and flexibility top of mind as we evaluate what reopening looks like for our team.
This position is classified as a confidential employee and as such is not included in the union-represented bargaining unit, NWLC United, affiliated with the Nonprofit Professional Employees Union/IFPTE Local 70.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please forward a resume and cover letter outlining how your professional background is a good fit for this position. Resumes should include exact start and end dates of employment. Please send application materials via e-mail to: [email protected] and include the position title in the subject line. Applications accepted until position is filled.
The National Women’s Law Center is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and values a diverse workforce. We strongly encourage and seek applications from people with disabilities; people of all genders, gender identities, and sexual orientations; people of color; and veterans.
If you require reasonable accommodations during any part of the hiring process, please email [email protected]