The Human Resources Generalist is a key member of the HR team responsible for supporting the overall mission of the National Women’s Law Center. This position will be an integral part of the HR team and will have responsibilities in the following areas: onboarding/offboarding, benefits administration, HRIS management, staff wellness and employment law compliance.
The National Women’s Law Center fights for gender justice — in the courts, in public policy, and in our society — working across the issues that are central to the lives of women and girls.
We use the law in all its forms to change culture and drive solutions to the gender inequity that shapes our society and to break down the barriers that harm all of us — especially those who face multiple forms of discrimination, including women of color, LGBTQ people, and low-income women and families.
For more than 45 years, we have been on the leading edge of every major legal and policy victory for women, and we need you with us to continue this fight.
HR processes & practices:
- Manage HRIS portal including report preparation, benefit plans, HR analytics and metrics;
- Handle all administrative tasks related to employee life cycle including onboarding & offboarding;
- Support the development and implementation of human resource policies and procedures;
- Assist in administering benefits, compensation, and employee performance programs;
- Serve as back-up for the recruitment process by coordinating job postings, reviewing resumes, performing reference checks and telephone interviews, if needed;
- Support compensation related activities such as new hire offers, salary increases to ensure compliance with the Law Center’s compensation framework;
- Manage monthly benefit premium invoicing and reconciliation;
- Maintain employee status changes and in coordination with IT manage employee directory and organizational charts;
- Perform other-HR related duties as required and assigned including managing special projects;
- Support HR Director with annual benefit compliance including, required provisions under ERISA, ACA and HR labor laws as required;
- Maintain compliance with federal and state employment regulations including maintaining and updating workplace posters and I-9 purging;
- Develop and manage monthly auditing of HR files to ensure consistent and accurate recordkeeping of employee and benefit documents.
- Respond to staff questions about personnel policy, benefits, and HRIS employee portal related issues;
- Coordinate staff culture and engagement activities including wellness-related programming, new employee orientations;
- Support Center-sponsored employee events as directed.
The ideal candidate will possess:
- Bachelor’s Degree and at least 5 years of Human Resources experience or equivalent combination for education and experience
- Advanced experience with ADP Workforce now or similar HRIS system
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills to review and interpret data
- Proficiency in MS Office including MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, with ability to create tables and charts
- Demonstrated ability to deal appropriately with sensitive and confidential information
- Demonstrated ability to work well in a fast-paced, diverse and inclusive team setting, remaining flexible, resourceful and proactive
Additional preferred skills and knowledge:
- Basic knowledge of relevant federal and state employment laws and regulations
- Excellent communication skills
- Precise attention to detail and ability to multitask
- HR Industry Certification
- Genuine passion for and understanding of the mission of the National Women’s Law Center and gender justice
The HR Generalist will report directly to the Director of Human Resources. This position will collaborate closely with HR Manager for Talent, and the Finance and IT teams as well as the VP of Finance and Administration.
Compensation & Benefits
A minimum salary of $69,685 will be provided to the successful candidate meeting the minimum requirements of the position.
The Center offers a comprehensive benefits package, and four weeks of annual vacation. NWLC is located on Metro’s Red Line in Dupont Circle.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please forward a resume and cover letter outlining your interests and qualifications. Resumes should include exact start and end dates of employment. Please send application materials via e-mail to: HRGeneralist@nwlc.org and include the position title in the subject line. Electronic submissions are preferred. Hard copies may be addressed to: Human Resources Department, National Women’s Law Center, 11 Dupont Circle, NW, Suite 800, Washington, DC 20036. Applications accepted until position is filled.
The National Women’s Law Center is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and values a diverse workforce. We strongly encourage and seek applications from people with disabilities; people of all gender identities; people of color, including bilingual and bicultural individuals; veterans; and LGBTQI individuals.
As noted above, NWLC welcomes applications from individuals with disabilities. If you require reasonable accommodations during any part of the hiring process, please email us at email@example.com or you may send the request by mail to:
National Women’s Law Center
ATTN: Human Resources Manager – Talent
11 Dupont Circle NW, Suite 800
Washington, DC 20036