The National Women’s Law Center seeks a creative, passionate and effective communicator and organizer to join our team as the Director of Campaigns. Reporting to the Vice President of Marketing & Communications, the Director of Campaigns will serve as a key leader on the External Affairs team, manage a talented team of campaign managers, and provide strategic guidance over the full suite of the Law Center’s issue-based campaigns and culture-change strategies.
The National Women’s Law Center fights for gender justice — in the courts, in public policy, and in our society — working across the issues that are central to the lives of women and girls.
We use the law in all its forms to change culture and drive solutions to the gender inequity that shapes our society and to break down the barriers that harm all of us — especially those who face multiple forms of discrimination, including women of color, LGBTQ people, and low-income women and families.
For more than 45 years, we have been on the leading edge of every major legal and policy victory for women, and we need you with us to continue this fight.
- Lead and inspire a dynamic team of Campaign and Digital Strategists and oversee the Law Center’s integrated campaigns plan, connecting themes and plans across the multiple core issues on which the Law Center works;
- Assume direct responsibility of an individual campaigns portfolio, including but not limited to:
- Cross-cutting (i.e., multi-issue) advocacy initiatives
- Culture change campaigns that aim to drive significant shifts in how communities view, discuss and understand gender justice issues;
- State-centered efforts
- Working closely with the Director of Brand and Content as well as the organization’s senior leadership, help shape the Law Center’s multi-channel engagement strategy;
- Serve as a Law Center representative on various coalitions, and manage and nurture grassroots and grasstops partnerships with individuals and other organizations;
- Work with the SVP of External Affairs to help develop and execute the Law Center’s influencer engagement strategy;
- Coordinate with the Center’s media team to create press opportunities;
- Develop expertise in the issues on which the Law Center works, and how to educate and grow our base of supporters;
- Oversee writing of action alerts, social media content, blog posts, toolkits, and other related materials;
- Organize and manage occasional rallies, protests, and other on-the-ground events in collaboration with partner organizations;
- Plan and hold meetings, conference calls, public speaking opportunities, and other NWLC-hosted events.
- Participate in the management and stewardship of the department budget;
- Other duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate will possess:
- A minimum of nine years of experience as a communications and campaigns expert, manager or strategist;
- Experience as a grassroots organizer; adept at consulting, advising, and training others to increase grassroots activities and strategies;
- Hands-on experience and expertise in managing influencers and related engagement strategy;
- Record of using technology and data to drive campaigns as well as hands-on demonstrated experience using communications tools such as social media platforms and analytics, eCRMS, webinars, action alerts, listservs, and databases;
- Ability to work in an agile, fast-paced environment;
- Ability to be flexible with work hours during rapid response moments;
- Excellent communication and organizational skills and a demonstrated ability to lead diverse teams.
Additional preferred skills and knowledge:
- At least three years of prior supervisory experience;
- Thrives in a fast-paced, collaborative team;
- Has a great sense of humor, interpersonal skills, and experience building relationships across organizations and coalitions;
- Demonstrates calm under pressure, and welcomes moments of rapid response
- Flourishes as both a leader and a colleague; works collaboratively, can give and take feedback and direction;
- Understands how to meet supporters where they are, and move them to take actions on some of the most critical issues of our time;
- Demonstrated commitment to and passion for racial and gender justice;
- Demonstrated ability to create campaign strategies with an understanding that women and girls don’t live single-issue lives; has a vision for centering those facing multiple forms of discrimination, including women of color, LGBTQ people, and low-income women and families; and
- Experience working in a 501(c)4 organization and/or on political campaigns.
The Director of Campaigns will report directly to the VP for Marketing and Communications and manages a team of six people including three senior managers, two managers, and an associate, all with specific issue portfolios.
Compensation & Benefits
A minimum salary of $109,250 will be provided to the successful candidate who has at least nine years of experience directly relevant to this role, consistent with the National Women’s Law Center’s compensation framework.
The Center offers a comprehensive benefits package, including four weeks of annual vacation. NWLC is located on Metro’s Red Line in Dupont Circle.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please forward a resume and cover letter outlining your interests and qualifications. Resumes should include exact start and end dates of employment, specifically month and year. Please send application materials via e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org and include the position title in the subject line. Electronic submissions are preferred. Hard copies may be addressed to: Human Resources Department, National Women’s Law Center, 11 Dupont Circle, NW, Suite 800, Washington, DC 20036. Applications accepted until position is filled.
The National Women’s Law Center is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and values a diverse workforce. We strongly encourage and seek applications from people with disabilities; people of all gender identities; people of color, including bilingual and bicultural individuals; veterans; and LGBTQI individuals.
As noted above, NWLC welcomes applications from individuals with disabilities. If you require reasonable accommodations during any part of the hiring process, please email us at email@example.com or you may send the request by mail to:
National Women’s Law Center
ATTN: Human Resources Manager – Talent
11 Dupont Circle NW, Suite 800
Washington, DC 20036