The National Women’s Law Center seeks a Counsel for Reproductive Rights and Health focused on working to protect and promote access to abortion at the state level. This is a full-time position, available immediately.
- Conducting legal and policy analysis of state-level legislative and regulatory proposals;
- Providing support to state-based advocates and partners;
- Drafting written materials, including legislative testimony, factsheets, blogs, reports, talking points, letters, and other materials;
- Conducting legal research;
- Traveling to states to meet with state-based advocates and partners;
- Representing the Center at coalition meetings and at public events, conferences, and meetings;
- Working in close coordination with other staff at the Center doing state-level work;
- Contributing to the RRH team’s broader work;
Ideal candidate will have:
- A law degree and admission to a state bar with ability to waive into the DC Bar if not already admitted;
- A minimum of 2 years of relevant experience;
- Excellent research, analytical, oral communication, and writing skills;
- Ability to build trust and credibility with key stakeholders, especially state level advocates and legislators;
- Ability and willingness to travel approximately 10% of the time;
- Outstanding time management and organizational skills, with careful attention to detail;
- A demonstrated ability to perform well independently with grace under pressure in a fast-paced, multi-tasking environment;
- Ability to build trust and credibility with key stakeholders, especially state-level advocates and legislators;
- Collaborative and collegial approach, and an ability and desire to work in a team-based environment, and an orientation to the work that recognizes and values the contributions of all team members;
- Commitment to centering diversity and equity in executing key responsibilities;
- A commitment to the Center’s mission, including improving abortion access.
- Experience working at the state-level, at a national organization doing state-based work, or other experience with state-level research/analysis/legislative process, including working with local and state reproductive rights, health, and/or justice organizations;
- Knowledge of reproductive rights, health, and justice issues, in particular health insurance coverage of abortion and/or refusals to provide care;
- Proven ability to work independently and collaboratively;
- Demonstrated ability to influence and engage diverse audiences and to build long-term collaborative relationships with key organizational and individual partners;
- Flexibility and a sense of humor.
This position will report directly to Senior Counsel and will collaborate closely with the RRH team and other Center staff. Will have supervisory responsibilities for interns.
A minimum salary of $73,965 will be provided to the successful candidate having at least 2 years of experience directly relevant to this role, consistent with the National Women’s Law Center’s compensation framework.
If you are interested in joining the NWLC team, submit a cover letter describing your qualifications, resume, and three supervisory references. Resumes should include exact start and end dates of employment. Electronic submissions are preferred. Please send materials to firstname.lastname@example.org and include position title” RRH Counsel-State” in the subject line. Hard copies may be addressed to: Human Resources Department, National Women’s Law Center, 11 Dupont Circle, Suite 800, Washington, DC 20036, FAX: 202-588-5185. Applications accepted until position is filled. No calls please.
The National Women’s Law Center is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and values a diverse workforce. We strongly encourage and seek applications from people with disabilities, people of color, including bilingual and bicultural individuals, veterans, and LGBTQI individuals.
As noted above, NWLC welcomes applications from individuals with disabilities. If you require reasonable accommodations during any part of the hiring process, please email us at email@example.com or you may send the request by mail to:
National Women’s Law Center
ATTN: Human Resources Manager-Talent
11 Dupont Circle NW, Suite 800
Washington, DC 20036