The National Women’s Law Center seeks an Assistant to provide administrative support and occasional program support to the Strategy & Policy team. The Assistant is an integral member of the Strategy & Policy team, providing critical administrative and systems support. This position supports the team’s programmatic work, which includes research, judges & courts, federal government relations, and state work.
About the Organization
The National Women’s Law Center fights for gender justice—in the courts, in public policy, and in our society—working across the issues that are central to the lives of women and girls.
We use the law in all its forms to change culture and drive solutions to the gender inequity that shapes our society and to break down the barriers that harm all of us—especially women of color, LGBTQ people, and low-income women and families.
For almost 50 years, we have been on the leading edge of every major legal and policy victory for women. Find out more at NWLC.org.
- Provides administrative and logistical support for the Vice President for Strategy & Policy and the Strategy & Policy Team at large, including proactive calendar management; coordination of calls/emails, travel, and meeting logistics; notetaking; processing of invoices, expense reports, and contracts.
- Coordinates team meetings and schedules internal and external meetings for the Vice President and for other Strategy & Policy team members as needed.
- Assists Vice President and Federal Government Relations Director in logistical coordination of Center-wide federal government relations work, including setting up meetings, arranging materials to support meetings, notetaking, occasionally attending meetings with Congressional offices, and more.
- Posts and formats content on the NWLC website using WordPress.
- Prepares and edits, documents for distribution, including formatting fact sheets and flyers in InDesign.
- Assists with event preparation, coordination, and execution.
- Manages internal subscription services for state and federal work.
- Provides organization-wide assistance as needed, e.g. limited back-up for receptionist.
The ideal candidate will possess:
- Strong computer skills and advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office applications, including experience scheduling meetings in Outlook and managing spreadsheets in Excel.
- Strong office skills including attention to detail, proofreading, and excellent written and oral communications skills.
- A demonstrated ability to prioritize, organize and complete work independently.
- Flexibility, good judgment, and the ability to handle multiple, concurrent tasks in an effective manner.
- Demonstrated ability to work well in a team setting and to manage projects in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
Additional preferred skills and knowledge:
- A Bachelor’s degree or at least two years of undergraduate coursework.
- Experience with InDesign and WordPress.
- Demonstrated commitment to and experience working on gender and racial equity and centering communities of color in their approach to work.
The Program Assistant will report directly to the Vice President for Strategy & Policy and will work with members of the Strategy & Policy Team and colleagues across the National Women’s Law Center.
Compensation & Benefits
A minimum salary of $48,791 will be provided to the successful candidate having experience directly relevant to this role, consistent with the National Women’s Law Center’s compensation framework.
The Center offers a comprehensive benefits package, and four weeks of annual vacation.
NWLC is a non-profit organization whose headquarters and staff are based in Washington, D.C., with our office located in historic Dupont Circle. However, due to the COVID-19 public health emergency, all NWLC staff are temporarily working remotely. We continue to monitor public health guidance and keep safety, science, and flexibility top of mind as we evaluate what reopening looks like for our team.
NWLC recognizes a staff bargaining unit, NWLC United, affiliated with the Nonprofit Professional Employees Union/IFPTE Local 70, a union for non-profit workers. This position is included in NWLC’s bargaining unit. Specific employment terms are subject to collective bargaining.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please submit a cover letter outlining your interests and qualifications, resume, and three references with current contact information. Resumes should include exact start and end dates (month and year) of employment. Please send application materials via e-mail to: email@example.com and include the position title in the subject line. Applications accepted until position is filled.
The National Women’s Law Center is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and values a diverse workforce. We strongly encourage and seek applications from people with disabilities; people of all gender identities and sexual orientations; people of color; and veterans.
If you require reasonable accommodations during any part of the hiring process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.